Friday, April 29, 2016

In the search of myself: Forest Research and Community



In FRIM, everyone is telling you that publishing a paper is very necessary to build your career path and to survive in FRIM. Sometimes, it is as though the more paper you publish, the more successful you are. Or the more high impact research you do, the more you helped society. But sometimes we got diverted, because that is not the true whole story. Scientist should not be focusing on what I can do, but instead how I can help the current society, community and country with my expertise or knowledge I that have. There is seriously a gap between researchers and the society. If only the community can know what are in the head of these scientists, and appreciate what have been working out, then participating in the conservation process may be feasible.

I saw this illustration about “Level of Community Engagement” today and I find it inspiring. It shows the whole process for empowering nation towards democracy from perspective of policy makers, and also to build a sustainable and responsible society.  

Inform -- Consult -- Involve -- Collaborate -- Empower                             [A. Ramachandra, 2013]

I always feel grateful to have such a place in Kuala Lumpur big cities, where I can enjoy the lush of greenery in pristine forest – FRIM. Undoubtedly, that is one of the reason for me to work here. Now FRIM is moving towards world heritage site, it is a high time that this site, should have more of its function in community and society, as a place not only for researchers, joggers, but a place people can enjoy relationship of human and nature. 

I am a forest researcher. But I really care less whether I am getting a PhD, or whether I have publish enough paper to survive. Not really my first intention. In fact, I am an expert of nothing. Yet I wish I can be the gap filler between the scientists/researchers and the community. So here I am, in the office of FRIM-World Heritage Site, handling the project of building a model for green community in FRIM. To go through the process of community engagement, this is what I do mainly, if you ask me.

Although now, I (we) are just at the starting point, to study what the others have done, regionally and internationally. For the long journey, wish I will not forget the simple role of myself, one of the puzzle pieces, to find peace within nature and inner self.  



A. Ramachandra et. al. (2014) Sustainance of Community Engagement – Is it a feasible feat?. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences 129: 156 – 163.

No comments: